As per the list unveiled by manufacturer, the HTC Desire 816 is one of the luckiest smartphone to get official lollipop updates. Indeed, every user is dying to have an Android Lollipop version running on their HTC Desire 816 phablet. But the problem is that the company has not mentioned any specific dates of releasing the official lollipop updates. Besides the lollipop update for flaghip HTC One (M8) has also been delayed. Now, one can just imagine that when this mid-range smartphone will be receiving the official lollipop update from the company.
Well, I have an another way to update HTC Desire 816 to Lollipop and that is via installing Custom ROMs. Fortunately, there is one of the best Custom ROM available for HTC Desire 816, i.e., CyanogenMod 12. The CyanogenMod team has released the official CyanogenMod 12 build for HTC Desire 816 smartphone based on Android Lollipop version. So, if you don’t like to wait anymore to get your hands-on lollipop, then update HTC Desire 816 to Lollipop via CyanogenMod 12 ROM.
For installation, one can follow the below step-by-step procedure to update HTC Desire 816 to Lollipop via CyanogenMod 12 ROM. Let’s get started!
- Keep your HTC Desire 816 battery charged up to 70% – 80%.
- Don’t forget to enable USB debugging mode.
- Ensure that you have backed up your all important data.
- Your HTC Desire 816 Bootloader must be unlocked. If not, then unlock from HTCdev site.
- Make sure your smartphone is rooted and TWRP/CWM installed on it.
Download Update Files:
How to Update HTC Desire 816 to Lollipop via CyanogenMod 12 ROM
Step 1) Grab both the above files on your Computer and then copy it to the root of your device storage.
Step 2) Once you have copied the file, shut down you smartphone.
Step 3) Now, boot your HTC Desire 816 into recovery mode by pressing “Volume Down + Power” buttons together for a few seconds and from there, choose “Recovery” option.
Step 4) Then, you have to format your device staying into recovery itself. To do so:
- Select “wipe data/factory reset“, then select “Yes”.
- Again go back to the Recovery main menu, select “wipe cache partition” and “Wipe Dalvik Cache” under advance option to perform Dalvik cache wiping.
Step 5) Finally, it’s the time to update HTC Desire 816 to Android 5.0.2 Lollipop via CyanogenMod 12 by flashing ROM and Gapps files.
- Select “install zip from SD card” > “choose zip from SD card” > select “ROM.zip” file > select “OK” to start the flashing process.
- Similarly, you can flash “Gapps” as above.
Step 6) Once the flashing process is completed successfully. Select “++++Go Back++++” and then choose “reboot system”.
Initially, your smartphone will take 10-15 minutes to start and localize all the services & apps. So, please keep patience and enjoy new boot animation.
That’s it! Your mid-range HTC Desire 816 has been successfully updated to Android 5.0.2 Lollipop version. So, start exploring all new goodies and enjoy eye-catching materialistic interface. For any help or queries, you can use the comments section. Enjoy 😀